Are you making the most out of your time in the gym?
There are SO many myths within the fitness industry but one of my favourites is..
"I don't lift weights because I am scared it will make me bulky"
This revolves around the idea of people (more specifically, women) not wanting to pick up a dumbbell out of fear that they will automatically grow 20 inch biceps. Let me tell you... it does not work that way!
While weight-lifting will NOT make you "bulky"...it WILL do this!
1. Lose Body Fat - Increasing your lean muscle mass also increases your metabolism! A higher metabolism will have your body burning more calories all day long
2. Decrease Risk of Osteoporosis - Weight training strengthens your muscles AND your bone. This can prevent disease, broken bones, and fractures!
3. Reduce Risk of Injury - Weight training and strengthening your body will prevent you from injury in your everyday life activities! Whether it be picking up your child, lifting that heavy box at work, or chasing after your dog...having stronger muscles, joints, and connective tissue will benefit you all day long.
4. Burn More Calories - Cardio is GREAT for endurance, cardiovascular health, and so much more. But did you know it only burns calories WHILE you do it? Weight training burns calories DURING and AFTER your workout! That's right...weight training burns calories for up to 24 hours after a workout!
5. Enhance Mood and Reduce Stress - I always say that exercise is the most under-used form of medicine. Weight training releases endorphins in your body. These neurotransmitters fight depression/anxiety, improve mood, and prevent pain. Endorphins improve your mood and give you energy!
6. Promotes Better Sleep - Strength training allows you to develop a better sleep pattern. Our bodies need quality sleep in order to repair, rest, and recover. Those who weight train enjoy deeper, more peaceful sleeps!
As you have read...the benefits of weight training are vast! I could go on and on...but I'll let you find out the rest for yourselves :)
Weight training has CHANGED my life.
I was once strapped to a treadmill.
I used to look at the people in the gym lifting weights in awe...thinking "I'll never be that strong" or "I'll never look like that".
But, over time I grew more confident. I decided to challenge myself. I took the risk.
Everyone has a different journey...that is what I love so much about this lifestyle!
We are not all alike...but we are all in the gym for similar reasons.
To improve ourselves. To challenge ourselves. To better ourselves.
Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.